Geneviève Després completed a degree in Industrial Design at the Université de Montréal, but decided instead to pursue her first passion: drawing.
She turned to illustration, and worked in the fields of educational publishing, advertising, editorial, and children’s literature. She then spent a few years in Europe, where she gave birth to her second child and looks for inspiration and explores different techniques. Since September 2006, the bulk of her work has consisted in illustrating children’s books for the largest publishing houses in Quebec & Canada.
The artist employs a variety of techniques and plays with texture and the transparency of different mediums to create unique images. Tender and whimsical, they appeal to the child within us all.
Geneviève now lives in Saint-Lambert on the south shore of Montreal with her family.
- Shortlisted Elizabeth Mrazik-Cleaver Canadian Picture Book Award 2017, Dépareillés
- Shortlisted 2018 Prix Peuplier (Ontario) – Forêt de la lecture 2018, J’ai Perdu.
- Award Winner 2017 ANEL-AQPF category picture book category, J’ai perdu.
- Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles 55nd Annual Illustration Award 2017, children’s market, C’est l’histoire d’un ours.
- 3 x 3 #13 International Illustration Picture Book Show 2016 – Honourable Mention, New York, C’est l’histoire d’un ours.
- Shortlisted 2016 Prix des libraires du Québec, Ma Plus Belle Victoire, Éditions Québec Amérique.
- Shortlisted 2015 Euphonia Award Un Poil de Liberté
- Shortlisted 2014 Blue Spruce Award, (Forest of Reading), The Highest Number in the World
- Award Winner 2014 Mine de Polar jeunesse (Baker Street) Recipient, France, Suzy a disparu
- Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles 52nd Annual Illustration Award 2014, Poster Lis Avec Moi.
- 3 x 3 #11 International Illustration Picture Book Show 2014 –Honourable Mention, New York, Calendre
- Award Winner 2013 Québec-Wallonie-Bruxelles Recipient, Le petit Chevalier qui n’aimait pas la pluie
- Shortlisted 2013 Tamarac Prize, Le petit Chevalier qui n’aimait pas la pluie
- Shortlisted 2013 Quebec Library Prize, La Grève du Bain
- Shortlisted 2012 Alvine-Bélisle Prize, Le petit Chevalier qui n’aimait pas la pluie.
- Award Winner 2012 Trois-Rivières Book Faire, Le petit Chevalier qui n’aimait pas la pluie
- 3 x 3 #9 International Illustration Picture Book Show 2012–Honourable Mention, New York, Un poil de liberté
- Applied Arts Awards Annual 2012, complete book, Le petit Chevalier qui n’aimait pas la pluie
- Shortlisted 2011 Prix des libraires du Québec, Zut! Flûte est excite
- Applied Arts Awards Annua 2011, Self-Promotion, Seasons
- Applied Arts Awards Annual 2009, complete book, Fabriqué au Bout du Monde.
Workshops vary from 45 to 60 minutes depending on duration of lesson/ library period and the age of the children. It is preferable that there are a maximum of 30 children participating in each workshop and that they are all in the same school year. Smaller groups have more fun! To optimize the experience, it is recommended to read two or more books by the illustrator prior to the activity.
More infos about workshops (PDF)